- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Thrive Content Builder
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- FunctionalityEditor: 95%
- Ease of useEditor: 100%
- PricingEditor: 95%
- SupportEditor: 85%
There is a problem that we face as WordPress users.
Most themes on the market are designed to look pretty at the expense of conversions.
And you want to convert more visitors into buyers (or email subscribers) don’t you?
This is a huge problem for us but it doesn’t have to be.
You can use a plugin to create custom page layouts that are designed to convert. You can even create highly focused landing pages, sales pages or squeeze pages.
By doing this, you won’t have to change your theme which makes things much easier (and cheaper in the long run).
In this post I’ll take you through my review of the Thrive Content Builder plugin. So if you want to start creating eye-catching custom page layouts and improve your conversions at the same time – keep reading.
What is the Thrive Content Builder?
The Content Builder is a plugin created by Thrive Themes – they have a high focus on improving conversions which is awesome.
Content Builder is a drag and drop page builder plugin that gives you the ability to see exactly how your content will look while you’re editing it.
I’ve always hated the editor that comes with WordPress (like a lot of other people have), it’s supposed to be ‘WYSIWYG’ (what you see is what you get) but it’s so far from it.
Content Builder is one of the closest plugins to a real ‘WYSIWYG’ editor in WordPress.
Aside from allowing you to create unique page layouts, there are 2 more key features that we’ll take a look at:
- Landing pages functionality – You get various templates which make it easy to create high converting landing pages. Templates are designed in sets to help you create a consistent experience for your visitors.
- Event manager – This allows you to create 2 step opt-in forms where a button triggers a popover. Any button can be used to display a 2 step opt-in. This typically performs better than displaying a regular opt-in form.
Whether you want to create sales pages, landing pages or just make your content stand out – Content Builder could be the plugin for you.
Create high impact page layouts with Thrive’s Content Builder
Whether you want to add some creative flare to your next blog post or one of your key pages – you can do it easily.
To get started, just hit the ‘Edit Using Thrive Content Builder’ button:
You will then have a blank page with all of your editing options towards the right hand side:
You can then choose to display the editing options on the left, collapse the menu or reverse the editor’s color.
At the top you will find some of the important buttons; save, preview, undo, redo, HTML and templates:
The Thrive Landing Pages options are also located there – I’ll talk about this in more depth soon.
You have the option to choose from three design styles:
The elements are all listed so you can scroll through easily and pick something out, clicking on the option will add the element to your page or you can drag the element onto the page.
You’ll then be able to click on the element which will reveal specific editing options:
What elements does the Content Builder support?
Ok, so the editor is looking good – it’s straight forward to use.
Now the question is what exactly can you add to your pages?
Let’s take a look…
Aside from the usual text images and layout options, there are plenty of helpful elements you can utilize.
A lot of the elements will give you various style options when you click on them, for example there are 9 different style combinations for testimonials and 4 call to action styles.
Create and edit buttons with ease:
Note: buttons give you the option to utilize the event manager; this can be used to create 2-step opt-in forms. We’ll talk about this in more detail later on in the review.
Add ‘click to tweet’ boxes to encourage social shares:
Use countdown timers to create a sense of urgency:
Embed Google Maps:
Build your list with opt-in forms:
Add high impact pricing tables with a single click:
Creating tables that look great is easy:
Add eye-catching money back guarantee boxes to your sales pages:
Your testimonials will stand out with 9 different styles:
Aside from the examples I’ve listed above, you can also add:
- Responsive videos
- Feature grids
- Tabbed content
- Content boxes
- Styled lists
- Table of contents
- Start ratings
- Custom CSS
- Custom HTML
There are more available and Thrive have added new elements since the initial launch – I hope to see this continue.
Landing page templates are included to make things easy for you
I first tested Thrive’s Content Builder back when it was initially launched and I felt the one way they could improve things would be to incorporate landing page templates.
Now landing page templates are available which makes this plugin so much more valuable.
I love how the feature has been integrated because it’s so straight forward to use.
Whether you are editing a page or a post, you can instantly turn it into a landing page by clicking the ‘Thrive Landing Pages’ dropdown:
You then get the option to choose your landing page:
After switching your post/page over to a landing page, you can go back to the same dropdown menu and find the following settings:
This makes it so easy to either reset your landing page or revert back to using your theme. Click a button and it’s done.
Clicking on the landing page settings option will reveal some general options focused around background colors and images:
Thrive recently added more templates too, they are built in sets so you can create a consistent experience for your visitors when they go from a landing page to a thank you page, then a download/confirmation page.
Thanks to the flexibility of the Content Builder, tweaking these landing pages or building a unique template from scratch is straight forward.
Content Builder’s new event manager allows 2 step opt-ins
The event manager allows you to add animations and create 2 step opt-ins forms.
You can use them in several different elements, including buttons and images – there are plenty of possibilities here to use these to grab the attention of your audience.
And the huge benefit here is how awesome 2 step opt-in forms are for building your email list.
So if we were to setup a 2 step opt-in form using a button, we’d add the element and click the event manager button:
We will then be able to add an event, for the purposes of this we’ll select a Thrive lightbox to be displayed when the button is clicked (we can display on mouse over or after content comes into view).
We will then select which lightbox we want to display and what animation we want to display:
Once we save this event, save the page and preview it we can click the button which will display a popover like this:
You can also edit any of your lightboxes outside of the page you’re working on.
So for example, if you are using the same lightbox on several different pages, you can go straight into editing the lightbox directly, rather than editing them individually.
Head over to the Thrive lightboxes section and hit the ‘Edit Thrive Content Builder’ button:
Once opened in the Thrive Content Builder, you can customize or make any necessary tweaks.
Thrive Content Builder’s core features
I’ve covered a number of the Content Builder’s features already, but there are plenty more.
Here’s a quick summary:
- Real WYSIWYG editor – you see how your posts/pages will really look.
- Event manager – enables you to boost conversions with 2 step opt-ins and more.
- Landing page templates – create highly functional landing pages quickly.
- Undo and redo functionality – avoid making mistakes.
- Built in API – you can develop your own elements.
- Create your own templates – save time for future editing.
- Shortcode support – use external shortcode within the Thrive Content Builder.
- Live image resizing – see exactly what your visitors will see.
- Exit popup – stops you from accidently closing the editor and losing your work.
- Edit posts and pages – use Content Builder to create eye-catching layouts for posts and pages.
- Font manager – adding custom fonts is easy.
- Icon manager – import unique icons fast.
- Social sharing buttons – Easily add social share buttons and choose to hide share counts until above a certain number.
- Click to tweet elements – encourage social sharing within your content.
- Responsive videos – videos will look great on mobile devices.
- Comes with 120+ landing pages organized into sets.
- Easy to use.
- Light weight considering the features you have access to.
- Using 2 step opt-in forms typically boosts conversions.
- Easily turn any post or page into a landing page.
- Enables you to create content that stands out.
- Pricing is cost effective, particularly the unlimited sites option.
- Can only be used with your new content or you will have to go back and update old content – this will be the same for all drag and drop page builders so is to be expected.
Thrive Content Builder
Summary: This plugin is perfect for anyone who wants to create custom layouts and make their content stand out. Use it to create landing pages, squeeze pages, sales pages and more – it’s fast and efficient.