10 Best Social Sharing Plugins For WordPress In 2016
Note: I’ve updated this post as of 16/12/2015, ready to help you in 2016 and beyond.
Finding a decent social sharing plugin for WordPress is more difficult than it should be.
Crazy isn’t it?
There are thousands of plugins in the WordPress repository yet I’ve found myself switching plugins far too often.
It shouldn’t be this way though.
It should be easier for us to find a functional social sharing plugin that does what we need it to.
Then there is the all important element of getting support when we need it.
The truth is that the right social plugin is out there for you. I’ve included my personal go-to social sharing plugin in this list along with some other plugins that will help you.
Whether it’s adding social share buttons, follower counts, encouraging social shares or monitoring social shares in WordPress – there’s a plugin here for you.
You’ll find both free and paid plugins.Make it easy for people to share your content with these social sharing plugins for WordPressClick To Tweet
Top social sharing plugins for WordPress
Display elegant social sharing buttons with Monarch
Monarch is a new social sharing plugin created by the team at Elegant Themes.
This plugin boasts some impressive features, it allows you to display share counts after they reach a certain number which is great for avoiding negative social proof.
In addition you can display social icons in your sidebar or other widget areas and you can monitor social shares in an impressive looking interface.
There are also several interesting placement options which include triggered popups and fly ins – these are designed to help you encourage social shares.
The plugin is well optimized and built with speed in mind but it still has all the important features you will need to encourage social shares.
- Support for popular social networks.
- Multiple display options.
- Choose when share counts are displayed.
- Easy to use interface.
- Popover and fly in share boxes to encourage sharing.
- Display social media icons in widgets or with shortcode.
- Track social shares, likes and follows with built in statistics.
Price: $89/year (cancel anytime and get access to other plugins as well as 80+ WordPress themes).
Encourage social sharing with Social Warfare
Social Warfare is the most recent plugin I’ve added to this list but it’s also one of the most impressive.
Not only does it allow you to add visually stunning sharing buttons to your blog, but you also get access to a number of powerful features that can give you a massive boost in social shares.
One customer reported a 300% increase in social shares when using this plugin.
A few features stand out at helping here.
Firstly, you can upload Pinterest-specific images and descriptions. Pinterest has huge potential for driving traffic in certain industries but the problem is that most default images that are shared when your visitors hit the “Pin” button aren’t the right size.
I’ve noticed that when using tall images on Pinterest, I get a lot more traction than when I share shorter images. So, with Social Warfare you can create a Pinterest friendly image and upload it to your posts.
This won’t interfere with your regular featured images at all – awesome!
Secondly, you get the option to add tweetable quote boxes within your content and there are a bunch of smart designs to choose from. I’ve used these in the past with great success.
There are a bunch more too, this includes – custom tweets, hiding low share counts and a lot more.
This plugin is the complete social sharing package – with Social Warfare you’ll have everything you need to wow visitors and get more social media traffic.
- Support for popular social networks.
- A number of eye-catching themes.
- Display total and individual share counts.
- Display share counts only when above a specified number.
- Display floating share buttons.
- Add “click to tweet” boxes within your content.
- Add custom tweet text for individual posts.
- Upload Pinterest specific images and descriptions to your posts (great for boosting Pinterest traffic).
- Tracks social shares with UTM tracking code (see exactly how much traffic this plugin is sending your way).
- Fully mobile responsive.
Price: Starts from $24/year (cancel anytime).
Make sharing easy across desktop and mobile with SumoMe Share
This isn’t your typical WordPress plugin.
SumoMe is a suite of apps designed to help you grow your traffic. While you can use these apps with any site that supports HTML, they have a specific WordPress plugin which makes setup extremely easy.
The app that allows you to add social sharing buttons is called “Share”, and it performs brilliantly.
There are a huge number of places that you can add your social buttons to and it’s all done by a clickable interface. Just click on where you want them to go. You can select a different placement for mobile devices too.
While SumoMe comes with a large number of features, I particularly like how you’re able to order your social sharing buttons by which networks are getting the most shares.
You also get access to basic analytics data showing you how many people are clicking on your share buttons – this can help you figure out which networks are most popular with your readers.
- Supports a wide range of services including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp and more.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Customize size and other aspects of your share buttons.
- Huge number of options for placement of share buttons.
- Choose various button placements for mobile devices.
- Display rules allow you to choose which posts/pages your share buttons are added to along with other filtering options.
- Significant control over how share counts are displayed – for example, you can choose to hide individual counts and show total counts, or only display counts over a certain number.
- Additional apps available to grow your traffic, shares and email list.
Get more social shares from visual content with Image Sharer
Image Sharer is another free app created by the SumoMe team and it’s responsible for an extra 1,800+ social shares across my more recent posts.
You can choose exactly which apps you want to use – if you have SumoMe already installed, it’s even easier to get started.
With this app, you can add share buttons to your images. This gives you an extra way to get more social shares (and in turn, more traffic) to your content.
There’s minimal setup with Image Sharer, but you do have some handy customization options available to you, along with a summary of the total shares.
You can pick which share buttons you want to add – Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Yummly are all available. I tend to get the most success with Pinterest as it’s a visually focused network.
- Add share buttons to your images for Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and/or Yummly.
- Choose which pages or devices these image sharing buttons are added to.
- Choose where these buttons are added to images, for example – bottom left, middle, top right etc.
- Built-in URL shortener makes your shared links look much cleaner.
Get a wide arrange of features with Easy Social Share Buttons For WordPress
Easy Social Share Buttons For WordPress is possibly the most feature packed plugin I’ve ever come across.
You get access to a wide range of placement options and visual designs for starters.
There are also plenty of customization options for the visual designs and the plugin supports plenty of social networks.
You can manually place social share buttons, set share counts to be displayed after a number of your choosing along with plenty of other features.
While this all sounds great, there is always a cost for such a massive amount of features, that cost is speed and usability.
Fortunately, in a recent update, this plugin received an overhaul. The plugin is faster and the interface is cleaner. It’s not perfect but it’s much better.
- Support for 35+ social networks (including WhatsApp).
- 19 different locations to add your share buttons.
- Social fans counter.
- 22 built in templates.
- 11 counter positions and 6 total counter positions.
- Popups and fly-ins to encourage social shares.
- Support for various positions.
- Support for shortcode placement.
- Customizable button text.
- Built in social metrics.
- Supports any custom post types.
- Mobile optimized display.
- Compatible with WooCommerce, JigoShop, WP eCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
Display share buttons and related content with Shareaholic
Shareaholic is more than just a WordPress plugin; you can also use it for a variety of different content management systems.
You have access to a variety of different looks for your social sharing buttons, all of which are more eye-catching than the usual native buttons.
You will need to register an account to access all of the features that Shareaholic has to offer, but it’s free which is awesome.
Unfortunately after someone shares a piece of content, they may see an advertisement – I don’t like the idea of this but they’ve got to support the plugin somehow.
- Control whether or not share counts are displayed.
- Support for WordPress, Tumblr, Drupal, Shopify and more.
- Support for shortcode placement.
- Support for social analytics.
- Display related content.
Simple Share Buttons Adder does what it says on the tin
This is a straight forward and easy to use plugin that allows you to add basic share buttons to your posts or pages.
Choose your location, placement, share text and image set – then you are ready to go.
I personally find this plugin lacking in features, but its very light weight.
- Very light weight.
- Various image sets.
- Support for custom images.
Add simple sharing buttons with WP Social Sharing
WP Social Sharing allows you to easily add sharing buttons for 6 of the main social networks.
This includes the likes of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
In the settings you will find the option to automatically display these share buttons. You can choose whether they appear on posts, pages, media and custom post types.
- Supports 6 of the main social networks.
- Allows you to customize social button text.
- Resizes for mobile devises.
- Add Twitter usernames to your tweets.
- Add share buttons using shortcode.
Add a floating sidebar with Custom Share Buttons
The full name of this plugin is “Custom Share Buttons with Floating Sidebar”.
Not the most straight-forward name, but the plugin itself provides an easy solution to adding basic share buttons at the top of your content, or at the bottom.
You can choose whether it’s displayed on your home page, pages, posts or categories/archives – giving you a nice amount of control.
My only issue with this plugin is that the floating share buttons are only mobile responsive in the pro version of the plugin. But you do have the option to disable these buttons for anyone who visits your site with a mobile device.
- Supports popular social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google+.
- Choose whether to display share buttons on your home page, pages, posts or categories/archives.
- You can choose to hide the floating buttons for mobile devices which is helpful since the floating sidebar isn’t mobile responsive unless you purchase the pro version.
Display simple share buttons with AddToAny Share Buttons
AddToAny was one of the first tools I ever used for adding share buttons to my websites, and it’s still going strong.
One of the popular features about AddToAny is the universal button which allows users to hover over and get the option to share to other networks.
Although, I don’t think this is essential now – you’re likely to get more social shares if you limit the amount of networks that are displayed.
Still, you get plenty of features with AddToAny and it makes displaying share buttons straight-forward.
- A huge range of social networks are supported along with email sharing.
- Choose between several different icon sizes.
- Choose where you want buttons to be placed.
- Add buttons around your content or use shortcode to place it anywhere.
- Google Analytics integration helps you monitor your progress.
- Use custom icons if you want to use a style that isn’t included.
Which plugin should you choose?
Below I’ve put together some recommendations on which plugin might work best, based on certain circumstances:
SumoMe’s Share app works great if you’re looking for a plugin that’s free and offers significant functionality.
Social Warfare and Share are my top picks for plugins that give you control on how share counts and total share counts are displayed. This means you can either display them, or hide them until counts are above a certain number.
If you want a plugin that enables your readers to be able to share images that fit recommended sizes for social networks, without having to change your featured image size, Social Warfare will do that.
Simple Share Buttons Adder provides an easy (and free) solution for adding straight-forward social sharing buttons, without too many bells and whistles.
Easy Social Share Buttons for WordPress is a great choice if you require very granular control over how share buttons are displayed. It has a crazy amount of features and most can’t be found in other plugins.
Share will enable you to track which share buttons are getting the most clicks and allow you to display share buttons in different locations for mobile users (this improves user experience).
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means I might receive a small commission if you make a purchase. My opinions are my own and I only recommend plugins that I believe will genuinely help you.
About Adam Connell
Adam used to run a team of marketers. Now he shares what he’s learned about growing blogs and businesses here on Blogging Wizard. He’s a fan of Firefly and Chinese takeaways. Click here to join the Blogging Wizard newsletter; you’ll get our best content & 15+ guides to grow your online presence faster.