12 Best Social Sharing Plugins For WordPress In 2015
Finding a decent social sharing plugin for WordPress is more difficult than it should be.
Crazy isn’t it?
There are thousands of plugins in the WordPress repository yet I’ve found myself switching plugins far too often.
It shouldn’t be this way though.
It should be easier for us to find a functional social sharing plugin that does what we need it to.
Then there is the all important element of getting support when we need it.
The truth is that the right social plugin is out there for you. I’ve included my personal go-to social sharing plugin in this list along with some other plugins that will help you.
Whether it’s adding social share buttons, follower counts, encouraging social shares or monitoring social shares in WordPress – there’s a plugin here for you.
You’ll find both free and paid plugins.
Top social sharing plugins for WordPress
Display elegant social sharing buttons with Monarch
Monarch is a new social sharing plugin created by the team at Elegant Themes.
This plugin boasts some impressive features, it allows you to display share counts after they reach a certain number which is great for avoiding negative social proof.
In addition you can display social icons in your sidebar or other widget areas and you can monitor social shares in an impressive looking interface.
There are also several interesting placement options which include triggered popups and fly ins – these are designed to help you encourage social shares.
The plugin is well optimized and built with speed in mind but it still has all the important features you will need to encourage social shares.
- Support for popular social networks.
- Multiple display options.
- Choose when share counts are displayed.
- Easy to use interface.
- Popover and fly in share boxes to encourage sharing.
- Display social media icons in widgets or with shortcode.
- Track social shares, likes and follows with built in statistics.
Price: $89/year (cancel anytime and get access to other plugins as well as 80+ WordPress themes).
Encourage social sharing with Social Warfare
Social Warfare is the most recent plugin I’ve added to this list but it’s also one of the most impressive.
Not only does it allow you to add visually stunning sharing buttons to your blog, but you also get access to a number of powerful features that can give you a massive boost in social shares.
One customer reported a 300% increase in social shares when using this plugin.
A few features stand out at helping here.
Firstly, you can upload Pinterest-specific images and descriptions. Pinterest has huge potential for driving traffic in certain industries but the problem is that most default images that are shared when your visitors hit the “Pin” button aren’t the right size.
I’ve noticed that when using tall images on Pinterest, I get a lot more traction than when I share shorter images. So, with Social Warfare you can create a Pinterest friendly image and upload it to your posts.
This won’t interfere with your regular featured images at all – awesome!
Secondly, you get the option to add tweetable quote boxes within your content and there are a bunch of smart designs to choose from. I’ve used these in the past with great success.
There are a bunch more too, this includes – custom tweets, hiding low share counts and a lot more.
This plugin is the complete social sharing package – with Social Warfare you’ll have everything you need to wow visitors and get more social media traffic.
- Support for popular social networks.
- A number of eye-catching themes.
- Display total and individual share counts.
- Display share counts only when above a specified number.
- Display floating share buttons.
- Add “click to tweet” boxes within your content.
- Add custom tweet text for individual posts.
- Upload Pinterest specific images and descriptions to your posts (great for boosting Pinterest traffic).
- Tracks social shares with UTM tracking code (see exactly how much traffic this plugin is sending your way).
- Fully mobile responsive.
Price: Starts from $24/year (cancel anytime).
Get a wide arrange of features with Easy Social Share Buttons For WordPress
Easy Social Share Buttons For WordPress is possibly the most feature packed plugin I’ve ever come across.
You get access to a wide range of placement options and visual designs for starters.
There are also plenty of customization options for the visual designs and the plugin supports plenty of social networks.
You can manually place social share buttons, set share counts to be displayed after a number of your choosing along with plenty of other features.
While this all sounds great, there is always a cost for such a massive amount of features, that cost is usually speed and usability.
Fortunately, in a recent update, this plugin received a complete overhaul. The plugin is faster and the interface is cleaner. Ultimately, it’s not perfect because it’s going to be a challenge for anyone to work so many features into a plugin like this, but the latest version has definitely improved things!
- Support for 35+ social networks (including WhatsApp).
- 19 different locations to add your share buttons.
- Social fans counter.
- 22 built in templates.
- 11 counter positions and 6 total counter positions.
- Popups and fly-ins to encourage social shares.
- Support for various positions.
- Support for shortcode placement.
- Customizable button text.
- Built in social metrics.
- Supports any custom post types.
- Mobile optimized display.
- Compatible with WooCommerce, JigoShop, WP eCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
Display share buttons and related content with Shareaholic
Shareaholic is more than just a WordPress plugin; you can also use it for a variety of different content management systems.
You have access to a variety of different looks for your social sharing buttons, all of which are more eye-catching than the usual native buttons.
You will need to register an account to access all of the features that Shareaholic has to offer, but it’s free which is awesome.
- Control whether or not share counts are displayed.
- Support for WordPress, Tumblr, Drupal, Shopify and more.
- Support for shortcode placement.
- Support for social analytics.
- Display related content.
Simple Share Buttons Adder does what it says on the tin
This is a straight forward and easy to use plugin that allows you to add basic share buttons to your posts or pages.
Choose your location, placement, share text and image set – then you are ready to go.
I personally find this plugin lacking in features, but its very light weight.
- Very light weight.
- Various image sets.
- Support for custom images.
Encourage social sharing with Social Share & Locker Pro
This handy plugin comes with plenty of features to boost your social shares.
First of all you can do the important stuff which involves adding eye-catching social share buttons to your posts and pages.
Secondly, it also acts as a content locker, this means you can offer bonuses and exclusive content in exchange for a tweet for example.
- 10 themes included.
- Compatible with WooCommerce, BuddyPress and JigoShop.
- Built in content locker to encourage social sharing.
- Various placement options supported.
- Support for shortcode placement.
- Fully responsive and retina ready.
- Display share counts.
- Option to change button text.
- Black & White theme pack available for $8.
Display social share buttons and fan counters with Ultimate Social Deux
Ultimate Social Deux is another great plugin for adding social buttons.
These buttons have a completely different look to most that I have seen and you’ve got all the important stuff like: share counts, shortcode support and plenty of display options.
You also get the option to display follower counts.
- Fully responsive.
- Fan counters included.
- Support for native share buttons.
- Support for shortcode placement.
- Support for various ecommerce solutions.
- Support for the main social networks.
- Various placement options
- Option to display or not display share counts.
Add shareable quotes with TweetDis
Adding shareable quotes is a great way to get more engagement for your content.
The problem has always been that existing solutions are more time consuming than they should be or the features you get are limited and force you to display ‘powered by’ links.
With TweetDis you can add these “click to tweet” boxes very easily. You can then make snippets of text and images tweetable.
- Various design layouts.
- Options to customize tweet boxes.
- Customize your call to action.
- Support for text highlighting.
- Support for adding “click to tweet” buttons to images.
- Tag a default @username in your tweets.
- Bitly support.
Price: starts from $27.
Make pinning images easy with Power Pinner
This is a relatively new plugin but it’s brimming with potential.
Here’s why this has so much potential:
When you give your visitors a direct call-to-action, they will be more likely to take an action.
So the idea with Power Pinner is that instead of merely displaying a Pinterest logo over your images, it will display a direct call-to-action which urges your visitors to share to Pinterest.
- 4 call-to-action designs.
- Customize your call-to-action.
- Autofill pin descriptions.
- Pin full images when used on thumbnails.
Add share buttons, image sharing and more with SumoMe
This isn’t your typical WordPress plugin.
SumoMe is a suite of apps designed to help you grow your traffic. While you can use these apps with any site that supports HTML, they have a specific WordPress plugin which makes setup easy.
Two particularly helpful apps here are:
- Image Sharer – This adds share buttons over the top of your images to encourage sharing. It supports Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter as well as providing URL shortening, and statistics. One particularly good feature is you can add page targeting to disable/enable the Image Sharer across particular pages.
- Share – This app makes it easy to add share buttons to your blog. You get page level targeting, choice of a wide variety of social networks and more. The feature that stands out here is how it changes the order of social share buttons based on which platforms are being used to share your content (on a per page basis).
With this being a suite of apps, you will need to create an account but the setup process is very straight forward.
I really like how you can pick and choose which apps you use, for example I use the Image Sharer app, but I use the Social Warfare plugin for my sharing buttons.
The only downside is that SumoMe branding is displayed unless you have a paid account, still, for the functionality you get out of SumoMe – it’s worthwhile.
- Basic sharing stats.
- URL shortening option.
- Choose where share buttons are displayed (bottom left, top right etc).
- Support for a default Twitter username to be included in tweets.
- Support for HTML code to use outside of WordPress.
- Additional apps available to grow your traffic.
Price: Free with paid options available to remove branding.
Use WP Sharely to encourage social sharing
WP Sharely is a content locker that allows you to ethically bribe your readers into sharing your content.
It’s easy to use and comes with a number of themes for your content lockers along with some other great features.
I have used this plugin successfully to boost social shares on certain posts by 30-40%.
It’s compatible with Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus and has some great functionality.
Below is an example of exactly how it works, just click one of the share buttons to see how well this works:
See how easy that was?
Just think of the possibilities: you could use this to offer exclusive content such as free templates, downloads and more.
Skyrocket your social shares and traffic with easy.
- 4 themes for your content locker.
- Choose to hide the locker on mobile devices.
- Built in analytics.
- Customize tweet message.
- Support to alter the URL that visitors are able to share.
- Option to hide the locked content from your source code.
Price: Starts from $37.
Keep track of your social media progress with Easy Social Metrics Pro
Monitoring is the key to understanding how your social media strategy is progressing.
The plugin I use to do this is Easy Social Metrics Pro; it’s a new plugin that does the job perfectly.
What I especially love is being able to see which networks I’m gaining ground on and which posts are performing well – all at a glance without having to dig deep into reports.
This is a paid plugin, but if you’re looking for an effective plugin you can track your shares with for free, check out Social Metrics Tracker.
- Supports all custom post types.
- Supports 12 different social networks.
- Manual update option to re-scan your content.
- Monitor social shares for a particular time frame.
- See your top posts at a glance.
- See which networks are gaining the most traction.
- See which networks are gaining traction on a daily basis.
Finding the right social sharing plugin for you
We’ve covered some incredible plugins with a wide variety of features.
Your next step should be matching up a plugin to the features which you need.
If you want to go beyond basic social sharing buttons and you’re looking for additional features to help you grow your traffic; Social Warfare is a great choice.
It comes with a feature allowing you to add click-to-tweet widgets within your content, the option to stop share counts from being displayed until it’s above a certain number and allows you to customize images/titles/descriptions for various social networks.
One of the features I like most is that you can upload a unique featured image that will only be used when a user clicks on the Pinterest share button, allowing you to get more engagement/traffic from Pinterest (taller images typically get more traction on Pinterest).
Another great option is Monarch by Elegent Themes. It has a number of features to encourage social sharing which includes slide-ins and popovers, although if you’re focused on building an email list, you may want to avoid those features. That said, the social sharing buttons look great and most importantly you get great value from an Elegant Themes subscription.
With Elegant Themes you’ll get access to their list building plugin, various other plugins, their flagship WordPress theme (Divi) and every other theme they’ve released.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a free WordPress plugin you’ve got a bunch of good options:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you make a purchase. Opinions are our own and we only recommend plugins that we believe will genuinely help you.